Sunday 16 November 2014

How To Make A Small Bedroom Look Bigger, and Cosy!

Hi Everyone!
For many years I have been unimpressed by my small bedroom! It was always cluttered with things,with clothes on the floor as there wasn't enough storage space. I yearned for a double bed but my parents said that it wouldn't fit. My room basically felt disorganised, not very homely, and tiny. 
Recently, however, I have redecorated my bedroom and I absolutely love the result! It feels so much bigger, and so cosy and organised, too!

Cushions
From top to bottom: Homebase, Sainsbury's, Jack Wills.  I love these cushions I have on my bed! I like how they don't match each other, but how they seem to just work. I love the floral print on the top cushion, as it's very feminine. The knitted heart is just plain and simple cute and cosy, and I find the pattern on the Jack Wills cushion so "British" and vintage.

Duvet Cover
When choosing all of the accessory bits for my bedroom, I knew I wanted floral, vintage, and mismatching prints. I got this pale pink duvet cover with a white floral print from Sainsbury's. I really like it as I think it looks both "pretty" but also quite vintage due to the colourings (the pale brown outlining of the white floral pattern).

Bedside Light
I got the base of this lampshade from my Mum, as she was throwing it out. I then went to Homebase and purchased this amazingly cute lamp shade. I LOVE the colour of this, and feel that it prevents my room from being too pink and risking it from looking childish. 

Candles!
Candles will always make a room look cosy, and they'll make it smell nice too! The candle on the left hand side, in the jar, is a Yankee Candle, in the scent Snowflake cookies...it is AMAZING. The other three are from Sainsbury's and I love the cute pink packaging. 

Flower in Vase
I thought this pink rose would look really cute and romantic when placed in a glass, vintage bottle. I feel it adds a fresh feel to my room, and ties in well with all of the floral prints in my room.

Refurbished Chest of Drawers
This pine chest of drawers used to all be the deep pine colour that the knobs are. As you can imagine this made my room like tiny as it was so dark and seemed like it took up a lot of space. To save myself from having to buy a complete new chest of drawers, I decided I would just paint this one! The colour is an off white, and makes the piece of furniture look so much smaller and light in my room. I wasn't 100% careful when painting this as I thought if it was chipped it would add to the character of it, and make it seem more vintage. 

Storage for my Contact Lenses
I wanted a fun, interesting way to store the many products and items I have, so for my contact lenses, I decided to use to mini buckets, and two tin cans. This looks quite old fashioned I find, and I love it! It prevents my room from looking too boring and floral and girly. It's cheap too!

Polaroid Photos
For my 18th Birthday my cousin bought me a Polaroid camera, which I am in love with! I wanted a way of displaying these photos which was a bit different. So I bought some string, and some white, heart pegs from John Lewis and hung them up on my wall.  

Peg Fairy Lights
I've always wanted fairy lights in my room as they manage to create such a calming lighting. I bought these peg fairy lights from Homebase, and I think they are of the brand Habitat. They're so cute, and add more light to my room making it feel more spacious. The mirror you can see in the right hand picture has an elaborate silver frame, which adds an essence of glamour to my bedroom. By it being on the back wall and therefore reflecting the rest of my room, there is the illusion that my room is bigger than it actually is. 

 Lamp Shade
Another product from Homebase is this cream lampshade with a pink floral print. I used to have a dark raspberry one which really darkened the room, but this one just adds to the lightness of my room! It's amazing how such small changes like this can impact the feel of a room. 

Jewellery Box
Another different idea for storage, is this tea box which I bought from Homebase, I use this to keep all of my jewellery in, and I keep my everyday pieces on top of it. I think this looks a lot nicer than a bold jewellery box, and is very cute and vintage. 

Others ways I made my room seem a bit bigger, was getting a light cream coloured carpet, instead of the wooden flooring I had initially. This immediately lightened up the whole room, and made it feel warmer too. I also rearranged my bed so it is against my back wall, instead of it being down the side of my room, by the window (I may add, I bought a small double bed, which fits in my room nicely).
These are just a few tips on how to make a room seem a bit bigger, and a lot more cosier with more character. I hope you liked this post guys, let me know what you think!

Speak Soon,
Stephanie x

No comments:

Post a Comment